DDE Link for QCharts 6.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDE Link for QCharts 6.0

I have used QCharts and Qlink for the past couple of years. I trade stock and index options. The option quotes have gotten dramatically worse over the past few months. Often times there are missing bids and offers, so the OPRA data is completely useless to me at this time (not sure why I even bother paying for OPRA). Tech support has told me it's a bandwidth issue with the continuum servers. They suggest using sc10 and sc11, but they are no better than the others (although they used to be). I use Excel and need to have accurate quotes in my spreadsheets. When will I be able to DDE link to the Esignal servers? Tech support told me it's several months away. Before I take my business to another quote provider, I thought I'd post here for any additional info/clarity regarding DDE for Q 6.0.

Frustrated and ready to leave...
    TC

We'll likely release QCharts 6.0 with eSignal's DDE solution, so users will have the option of using either QLink (just as before) or QCharts 6.0 with DDE from the eSignal Data Manager. Keep in mind that the eSignal DDE links don't have historical bar data or Time & Sales data in them, but you still can have access to all the snapshot data.

If you'd like to try this out now, you could use the eSignal DDE expressions covered in this eSignal KB article with the QCharts 6.0 Pre-Beta.

To do this:

1) Download the pre-beta at the QCharts 6.0 Pre-Beta site.
    2) In that KB article it references an "Excel Sample" in the eSignal folder. Since you won't have an eSignal folder, you will need to download that Excel Sample from here.
    3) Launch QCharts 6.0, and use your QCharts user name.
    4) Open the Excel Sample file in Excel or just create your own DDE links directly inside of Excel using the eSignal DDE expressions.

* Please note that the QLink DDE expressions and the eSignal DDE expressions are different. In order to get the data from the eSignal Data Manager, you will need to use the eSignal DDE expressions and have the eSignal Data Manager running.

** Please also note that during the beta, QLink/QCharts 5.1 and the eSignal Data Manager is allowed to run concurrently, but upon the launch of QCharts 6.0 this will not be so. This thread has more information on that topic
    Regards,
    Jay F.
    Product Manager

Comment

DDE

Jay,

Thank you for the very informative response. The info regarding DDE is very helpful. I have downloaded 6.0. Unfortunately, I am unable to launch 6.0 due to an "EMANAGER.DLL file is linked to missing export KERNEL32.DLL:GetSystemWIndowsDirectoryA" error starting program message. However, I can start the data manager. Can I DDE to Excel launching just the data manager?

Thanks for your help,

Tom
      TC

Comment

Not sure why EManager can't find that DLL, but I'm researching into the possible causes. Did you install 6.0 in the default directory or did you choose a different directory? If the latter, what was the directory choice?

You should be able to start the eSignal Data Manager via Start --> Programs --> QCharts --> Data Manager, and then the DDE Links to the DM should work.
        Regards,
        Jay F.
        Product Manager

Comment

Emanager

Yes Jay, I installed 6.0 in the default directory. I did a file search and Kernel32.dll is residing in the windows/system folder, so it's there. Emanager.dll is in the Qcharts directory. Should the Kernel32.dll be copied/moved perhaps?

I'll launch DM and then try the DDE links.

Tom
          TC

Comment

It appears that the Kernel32.dll error can occur on non-Windows XP/2000/NT systems. Are you running an OS other than those?
            Regards,
            Jay F.
            Product Manager

Comment

I downloaded it onto a laptop running Win98. Will I still be able to run 6.0?
              TC

Comment

6.0 will require Windows XP or 2000 to run properly. Keep in mind that 5.1 will continue to be around for at least 10 months or more, but in order to upgrade to the 6.x series a Windows XP/2000 machine is needed.
                Regards,
                Jay F.
                Product Manager

Comment

Working...
                X