Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attaching Flat Screen Monitor to Laptop

Hello,

Can someone tell me how to go about hooking up a flat screen monitor to a laptop. I basically want the same functionality that I'm sure you guys have when you hook up two screens to a single desktop - dual monitor.

I just want to go on ebay and purchase a cheapo flat screen, attach it to my laptop and have dual screen. However, I don't know what additional equipment I would need to buy. For example, I know that when hooking up two monitors to a desktop you need an additional video card and multi-sync software. However, I don't know whats required when connecting another monitor to a laptop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Carlton

Hi Carlton,

Basically all you need is a laptop video card that supports duel monitors. If you are working with a laptop, I would suggest that you enlist the help of a professional as changing out a video card in a laptop is not for the faint of heart. Depending on the card you go with, it may have one or two video outputs. In this case, you want to use the laptop screen as a second monitor. By doing this, you may not require the second output. Regardless it will come down to the video card you choose. You may also want to double-check your system settings to make sure that it meets the minimum requirements. Pushing two monitors is always more intensive than a single monitor setup.

Comment

Hey Duane,

Thanks so much for your advice.

Cheers mate.

Carlton

Comment

Re: Attaching Flat Screen Monitor to Laptop

http://www.digitaltigers.com/sidecar.shtml

Originally posted by cpatte7372
        Hello,

Can someone tell me how to go about hooking up a flat screen monitor to a laptop. I basically want the same functionality that I'm sure you guys have when you hook up two screens to a single desktop - dual monitor.

I just want to go on ebay and purchase a cheapo flat screen, attach it to my laptop and have dual screen. However, I don't know what additional equipment I would need to buy. For example, I know that when hooking up two monitors to a desktop you need an additional video card and multi-sync software. However, I don't know whats required when connecting another monitor to a laptop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Carlton

Comment

theplumber,

I can't believe it, that's exactly what I need.

Thanks so much.

Cheers

Carlton

Comment

theplumber,

Eeeek, I just checked out the price - way too expensive. But thanks anyway.

Cheers

Carlton

Comment

Carlton,

Your laptop manufacturer user's manual should address how to hook up an external monitor (in print or on your computer).

If it has that capability, then it should be rather simple, depending on your operating system. For XP, it's just a matter of hooking up external monitor and resetting for multiple monitors within the control panel.
              Michael

Comment

Thanks Michael,

However, I think at a minimum I'm going to have to purchase a video card for the laptop. After some research I think I can hook a monitor directly to the VGA port on the laptop, however the monitor will show exactly whats on the laptop.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Cheers

Carlton

Comment

Most modern laptops should have the ability to drive another monitor already without the purchase of another video card.

I've been running dual monitors on my last 3 laptops for the last 4 years now, without additional hardware.

Comment

DionLoy,

Thats great news. What monitor are you currently using?

Thanks

Carlton

Comment

If your laptop is less than a couple years old, it should have plug and play capability for an external monitor.

It can duplicate your laptop screen, or you can go to Control Panel >Display Properties >Settings and set the external monitor to be independent, etc.

For cheap flat screens...check out www.tigerdirect.com.
                      Michael

Comment

I just plugged my desktop monitor into the laptop port and badda bing it worked, you might have to goto settings/properties and click on the monitor 1/ monitor 2 diagram and check a box to activate them, its really so simple I was amazed.

Comment

Guys,

I wonder if you could help me a little further. I have two laptops, I would like one of the laptops to act as a second monitor - just like a regular monitor. Can you tell me if its possible?

Cheers

Carlton

Comment

Hi Carlton,

I've never heard of this being possible. The second laptop in an independent machine, it will be under the control of a separate OS and have completely separate set of processes.

Comment

Yeah Duane,

Thats what the rep from JandR music said. I just thought I would get someone elses opinion.

I'm just searching for a way to avoid purchasing a seperate monitor, as I have about 3 laptops that aren't really being used.

And unfortunately esignal won't allow me to run their application from another computer - basically I want to display esignal on another monitor and the only way to do it is to attach another monitor to the computer where the application is being run from. Unless of course I want to pay another $116/month then I could run it from another computer.

Does the above make sense?

Carlton

Comment

Working...
                              X