No announcement yet.

Attaching Flat Screen Monitor to Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually using another computer as a virtual monitor is possible, but with special software.

I've heard good things about these guys, but have not personally tried their software:

http://www.maxivista.com/

(to answer the poster earlier, I have a Dell 17" LCD paired with a Dell Inspiron 8200), both around 2 years old.

Comment

Sure does Carlton. This is one of the great trader dilemmas; how to get the most information available with the least expense. Personally, I have always been a fan of the multi monitor set-up. I am also paranoid about getting stuck in a trade so I keep a separate laptop with all my programs sitting on the sideline in case my primary machine goes down. It sounds like you have a few computers sitting around and not really working for you. I would take a look at redundancy as well as adding some monitors to your existing setup. Just like building trading strategy, constructing your hardware profile is something that depends on you.

Comment

Very cool Dion! Carlton.....I stand corrected. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Thanks guys,

Dion, I really hope you're correct. I'm going to check out the site. In the meantime, thanks for your input, mate.

Cheers

Carlton

Comment

Dion,

U D Man. That is soooooo coooool....

Cheers mate.

Carlton

Comment

Another fine Desktop Manager

I've been using Hydravision for years.....multiple monitors
              multiple desktops.

maybe, the site is was down?

http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/gloss...ion/index.html

Free download at bottom of page.

Best,

~j
              Last edited by JJordan; 05-24-2004, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Hi JJordan

Thanks for responding. However, I can't get to the page through the link you provided.

Cheers

Carlton

Comment

JJordan

The link is working fine now. Excellent site. This has just come in time as I'm going to bite the bullet and purchase another monitor.

Cheers mate.

Carlton

Comment

Hi,

Can someone tell me if its possible to simply connect the video cable that comes with a monitor to the laptop or will I need to go to radio shack and pick up a special cable?

Cheers

Carlton

Comment

OK,

I don't need to pick up any special cable, I got the monitor to work fine. However, in my haste to purchase a monitor I mistakenly purchased a philips 150p2 which would be fine however the maximum resolution is 1024 x 768. I really would have preferred a higher resolution - but you know what they say "buyer beware"

Anyway, is at all possible to change the resolution with software. I'm asking simply because you never know - and since the people on this forum appear to have helped me out on very diverse topics I thought I would just see if anyone has a solution.

I have attached a link describing the specifications of the monitor.

Thanks

Carlton

http://www.aurora.se/philips/philips%20150p2.htm

Comment

Originally posted by cpatte7372
                        OK,

...however the maximum resolution is 1024 x 768. I really would have preferred a higher resolution - but you know what they say "buyer beware"

Anyway, is at all possible to change the resolution with software. ....
                        While it is possible to change the resolution for a TFT display the result usually is not very good. A CRT monitor does have an advantage here, you may operate it at any resolution (within its specification).

That is one of the disadvantages of TFT monitors, they operate best at their native resolution.

Regards

Bernd Kuerbs

Comment

BKuerbs

Thanks for getting back to me. You mentioned that it is possible to change the resolution. Can you let me know how its done?

Cheers

Carlton

Comment

Carlton
                            Run a search for resolution in the Windows Help files and you will find all the relevant information
                            Alex

Comment

Alex,

Thanks for responding. I checked microsofts website with the keyword 'resolution' but I couldn't find any relevant information.

Thanks

Carlton

Comment

Carlton
                                You don't need to go to Microsoft's web site just click Start->Help on your computer
                                Alex

Comment

Working...
                                X